Three transit programs currently operate within The Woodlands Township:
- Three Park and Ride locations connect weekday commuters to Downtown, Greenway Plaza and Texas Medical Center employment hubs.
- Vintage trolleys operate daily to connect The Woodlands Mall, Town Center, and Market Street.
- Waterway Cruisers travel along the Woodlands Waterway Fridays – Sundays.
The study is considering the success of these services and potential improvements. The study is also examining:
- Different modes of transit (such as vanpools, car pools and express bus services).
- Pedestrian and bicycle networks accessing transit
- Other strategies such as improved signage and notification systems for transit users.
The plan will recommend transit improvements to reduce congestion, improve air quality and incorporate multi–modal mobility solutions, while maintaining the aesthetics of the area and improving the quality of life in the region.
The study is considering transit options for The Woodlands and surrounding areas of South Montgomery County.
Preserve The Woodlands’ economic competitiveness through increased mobility in the Town Center, the Villages and existing/emerging activity centers in the area, creating affordable, reliable, accessible, safe solutions. This vision is supported by the following guiding principles:
- Builds partnerships to share costs and benefits.
- Provides high-quality services.
- Preserves the commuting services to Houston.
- Supports congestion mitigation.
- Enhances the multi-modal transportation network.
- Results in actionable projects in the near-term and long-term.