The Houston-Galveston Area Council (H-GAC) has established a partnership with Montgomery County and the City of Conroe to update the Montgomery County Thoroughfare Plan. H-GAC recognizes that there are various jurisdictions within the County, each of which has control of improvements within their own planning area. The MCTP will look at Montgomery County as a whole, rather than by individual segments or areas, that identifies the location and type of major roadway facilities that are needed to meet projected long-term growth within the study area.
What is a Thoroughfare Plan?
- Long-range plan (50 years) that identifies the location of future roadways
- Preserves right-of-way for transportation corridors
- Guides future investments
- Promotes roadway connectivity
- Establishes county-wide roadway design criteria
- Provides the public with information about the long term plan for the roadway network
- Foundation for future transportation plans.
A Major Thoroughfare Plan Does Not:
- Determine the alignment of a proposed road
- Initiate survey, design, or any activity leading to construction
- Mean that a roadway improvement is funded
- Set project priorities or timeframes for when a project should be completed
The vision of the Montgomery County Thoroughfare Plan is to establish guidelines and policies to develop a safe, well-connected and efficient countywide transportation system that provides adequate mobility for people, goods and services and promotes orderly growth and redevelopment throughout the county.
- Preserve adequate rights-of-way for future expansion and connectivity.
- Establish countywide design standards that enhance the safety and movement of all county roadway users and aid the transition from rural to urban land uses.
- Institute policies and procedures to coordinate and optimize transportation investments in the county.
- Develop a well-connected transportation system to, from, and within local communities.
- Collaborate with the development community to ensure that roadway investments satisfy existing and future growth needs.